Post-Conviction Relief in Texas

Call a Houston Appeals Attorney: (713) 489-2009

If you have received a guilty verdict in a criminal case, you can challenge your conviction or sentence. In Texas, procedures such as the Motion for New Trial, Appeals and the Writ of Habeas Corpus could benefit you and help you obtain the justice you deserve. To have our experienced Houston criminal defense lawyer review your case to determine if you qualify for an appeal, feel free to call The Law Office of Jason Luong, PLLC.

As a former prosecutor, our lead attorney has dealt with many appeals. We know how to approach an appeal and how to craft a compelling appeals brief. Learn about your post-conviction relief options by scheduling a free case evaluation with our firm!

Filing a Motion for New Trial

To file a motion for new trial, you must file a Notice of Appeal within 30 days of being formally sentenced and present the petition to the court at a hearing within 10 days of filing. Hearings are held at the court of appeals. It is here that your Houston criminal defense attorney will argue for why your appeal should be granted.

You may be granted a new trial if any of the following grounds apply to your case:

  • You were not present for trial.
  • You received inadequate or incompetent legal counsel.
  • The jury verdict was decided improperly.
  • There was juror misconduct (intoxication, talking to someone about the case, etc.)
  • A witness did not attend the trial because of threats, force or fraud
  • Evidence showing your innocence was withheld or destroyed
  • New evidence has been discovered

Writ of Habeas Corpus

Habeas corpus may be a good option if no appeal is filed or if an appeal is unsuccessful. The grounds for relief allow you to only attack your conviction if:

  • You were denied a constitutional right
  • The trial court did not have jurisdiction over you

Want to learn more? Schedule a free consultation - (713) 489-2009!

The Houston criminal defense lawyer at The Law Office of Jason Luong, PLLC is committed to helping clients with their appeals case. We will do everything we can to help your case reach the most favorable result possible. To find out more about post-conviction relief for your case, call The Law Office of Jason Luong, PLLC at (713) 489-2009!

Complimentary Case Evaluation

Tell Us Your Side of the Story Below, or Call (713) 489-2009 Now